- This website is owned and operated by NAUTICAL ACADEMY EUROPE SL.
- We are registered in Spain under registration number (CIF) ESB66120379, and our registered office is Muelle Oriental 1 Ed. F/T201, 08039 Barcelona, Spain and our principal place of business is at Carrer d’Espartero 8, 07014, Palma, Illes Balears, Spain.
- You can contact us:
- by post, using the postal address above;
- using our website contact form;
- by telephone, on(+34) 871 230 373 or (+44) 0113 815 1385
- by email, using firstname.lastname@example.org
- When we say ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘Nautical Academy’ it’s because that’s who we are, and we own and run the site.
Usage & Storage of Personal Information
Personal information submitted to us through our website will be used for the purposes specified in this policy or on the relevant pages of the website.
I. The type of personal information we collect:
- We collect certain personal data about the visitors and users of our site.
- The data we collect when you book a course with us includes the following:
- Usernames – these are generated when an Nautical Academy account is created
- First Name & Last Name
We collect your full name because we’d like to know who is booking our course. We also need to use this information on our crew lists (to adhere to maritime law) and/or to register your certificate/license.
- Company Name
We ask for a company name as we receive many bookings from employees who are put forward for courses by the company they work for, so this is for invoicing purposes.
We request this information to know where to send any letters, certificates or other mail correspondence. We also require an address for invoicing.
- Phone & Email Address
We request your contact details, so we can contact you regarding the course you have booked with us.
We request your gender for when students are doing ‘live aboard’ courses, we like to ensure we allocate cabins and yachts appropriately. It is also used for marketing and analysis purposes.
- Date of Birth, Nationality, Passport/ID Number
This information is important for the crew list (to adhere to maritime law). We also use your Date of Birth to allocate crew appropriately if we are running more than one yacht on any particular week.
- How did you find us?
We ask how you found us for analysis and marketing purposes.
II. How we collect personal information:
- We collect personal information when you provide it to us automatically, as you navigate through our site;
- We collect personal information when you provide it to us directly; when you complete course registration, buy services through our site, subscribe to a newsletter/ email list, submit feedback, fill out a survey or send us communication;
- We are required to collect emergency contact details before the start of your course, if the course type requires this information to be collected.
III. How we use personal information:
- To fulfill a contract, or take steps linked to a contract: for example, facilitating and processing transactions that take place on our site e.g. when you purchase a course through our website;
- When it is necessary for purposes which are in our, or third parties, legitimate interests. These interests include:
- operating the site;
- providing you with services described on the site;
- verifying your identity when you sign in to our site;
- responding to support requests, and helping facilitate the resolution of any disputes;
- updating you with operational news and information about our site and services e.g. to notify you about changes to the site, website disruptions or security updates;
- carrying out technical analysis to determine how to improve the site/ services we provide;
- monitoring activity on the site, e.g. to identify potential fraudulent activity
- When you give us consent:
providing you with marketing information about products and services which we feel may interest you.
- For purposes which are required by law:
For the purpose of responding to requests from the government, a court of law, or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation.
IV. When we disclose your personal information:
We will disclose personal information to the following recipients:
- When you sign up to our newsletter: We use Mailchimp as our email-marketing tool, where (after you have given your consent) some of your personal data is stored. You can update your own data too, by contacting us or updating the preferences in any email you receive from us;
- Subcontractors and service providers who assist us in connection with the ways we use personal information (as set out above), in particular: website hosting providers who are located in Switzerland; Our website maintenance team who are located in Spain;
- Our professional advisers (lawyers, accountants, financial advisers etc.) who are located in Spain;
- Regulators and Government authorities in connection with our compliance procedures and obligations (such as Guardia Civil inspecting our training vessels);
- A third party to respond to requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged/ suspected illegal activity;
- A third party, to enforce or defend our rights, or to address financial or reputational risks;
- Other recipients when we are authorized or required by law to do so.
V. Where we store your personal information:
- We are based in Spain, so your data will be processed in Spain. Some of the recipients we have described in section IV. above, and to whom we disclose your personal information, are based outside Spain in countries such as United States and United Kingdom.
- We store personal information on secure servers that are managed by our service provider, and occasionally hard copy files that are kept in a secure location in Switzerland. Personal information that we store or transmit is protected by security and access controls, including username and password authentication, and data encryption where appropriate.
VI. Marketing Choices regarding your personal information:
We ask if you want to receive our newsletter, so you can keep up to date with us, you can inform us at any time if you no longer want to receive this.
We may use some of your personal information, when we have your consent, to:
- send you non-marketing commercial communications;
- send you marketing communications relating to our business, by post or, where you have specifically agreed to this, by email or similar technology
Please note you can opt out of these communications at any time. If you would prefer not to receive them in the future, please write to us by email or post or use the “unsubscribe” facility provided in the communication itself.
VII. Cookies and web analytics
- When you visit our site, there’s certain data that’s recorded, which is generally anonymous information and does not reveal your identity. If you’re logged in to your account, some of this data could be associated with you, by this we mean:
- Your IP address or proxy server IP address (stored for 60 days for security reasons)
- The domain name you requested;
- The name of your internet service provider is sometimes captured depending on the configuration of your ISP connection;
- The date and time of your visit to the website;
- The length of your session;
- The pages which you have accessed;
- The number of times you access our site within any month;
- The file URL you look at and information relating to it;
- The website which referred you to our Site; and
- The operating system your device uses.
VIII. Information you make public or give to others
IX. How long we keep your personal information
- We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide our services to you and to comply with our legal obligations:
- After Care: After your course has finished, we keep certain personal information that is strictly related to the course and certificate you earn with us. We keep information stored on our system in case a certificate is lost, stolen or destroyed, this is solely because we want to be able to support you in getting a replacement.
- If you no longer want us to use/store your personal information, you can request that we erase your personal information and close your Nautical Academy account: If you do not want your details to be stored on our system please so let us know.
X. When we need to update this policy
- We will need to change this policy from time to time in order to make sure it stays up to date with the latest legal requirements;
- When we do change the policy, we’ll make sure to notify you about such changes, when required. A copy of the latest version of this policy will always be available on this page of our site.
XII. If you’re a user or visitor in the European Economic Area, these rights also apply to you:
- For the purposes of applicable EU data protection law (including the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), we are a ‘data controller’ of your personal information.
XII. How you can access your personal information
- You can access some of the personal information that we collect about you by logging in to your online account;
- You also have the right to make a request to access other personal information we hold about you, and to request corrections of any errors in that data. You can also close the account you have with us at any time;
- To make an access or correction request, contact our privacy representative using the contact details at the end of this policy;
- You are entitled to ask us to port your personal information, to erase it, or restrict its processing. You also have the right to object to some data processing that are in our legitimate interests, such as profiling, which we perform for direct marketing. And, after we have asked for your consent to process your data, you have the right to withdraw this consent [more information on this provided below].
- When we require your personal information to comply with legal or contractual obligations, then provision of such data is mandatory: if such data is not provided, then we will not be able to manage our contractual relationship with you, or to meet obligations placed on us. In all other cases, provision of requested personal information is optional.
- If you have unresolved concerns you also have the right to complain to data protection authorities. The relevant data protection authority will be the one of the country:
- of your habitual residence;
- of your place of work; or
- in which you consider the alleged infringement has occurred.
XIII. Third Party Websites
- Our website includes hyperlinks to, and details of, third party websites.
- We have no control over, and are not responsible for, the privacy policies and practices of third parties.
- We do not accept any liability for the content of external links. Third parties are solely responsible for their own content.
- We will not, without your express consent, supply your personal information to any third party for the purpose of their or any other third party’s direct marketing.
Copyright © 2020 SOVREN Nautical Academy
All the copyright and other intellectual property rights in our website and the material on our website are reserved.
I. Copyright license
- You may:
- view pages from our website in a web browser;
- download pages from our website for caching in a web browser;
- print pages from our website;
- Unless you own or control the relevant rights in the material, you must not:
- republish material from our website (including republication on another website);
- sell, rent or sub-license material from our website;
- show any material from our website in public;
- exploit material from our website for a commercial purpose; or
- redistribute material from our website.
II. Enforcement of copyright
- We take the protection of our copyright very seriously.
- If we discover that you have used our copyright materials in contravention of the license set out in this notice, we may bring legal proceedings against you, seeking monetary damages and/or an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
You may request permission to use the copyright materials on our website by writing to us by email or post, using the contact details published on the website.