RYA Yachtmaster Ocean: Virtual
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean: Virtual
This is a virtual interactive course, you will need a PC/Mac/Tablet and a steady internet connection to take part in the course, please see below for the system requirements. If you’d like to schedule a ‘test run’ with one of the Nautical Academy team, please let us know.
If you’re planning on attending the course on your phone or tablet, it is advised that you can also access at least one other platform. One platform for viewing (e.g. phone) and another platform for any digital activities such as accessing the course documents (e.g. tablet/iPad).
You’ll learn in real-time with an experienced instructor, they’ll be there to support you throughout the course.
We must have a minimum of three students to run this course.
By booking today you will reserve a space on the course, once confirmation is received that we have reached the minimum number of students we will then contact you for payment.
The Yachtmaster Ocean certificate of competence is the jewel in the crown of the RYA: to be a Master of Yachts unlimited by mileage.
You will be able to access and download the joining instructions after you have booked your course, along with course worksheets that must be printed, please let us know if you don’t have access to a printer.
A sextant is not mandatory to attend the course, but it would be beneficial for the practical demonstration. A plotter and divider are required to complete the worksheets during the course, please let us know if you don’t have access to a plotter/divider.
Out of stock
DAY 1 - DAY 5
Each day will run from 09:00 until 17:30 approx.
Due to current restrictions, we are not able to offer an invigilated exam through Zoom, for those that require the exam in Palma we can arrange this at a later date.
If you're not in Palma, we can assist in arranging your Shorebased exam with your local RYA Training Centre.
To take part in the Zoom virtual classes, you must have equipment that meets the following pre-requisites:
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam – built-in or USB plug-in
- Or, a HD cam or HD camcorder with video capture card
Supported tablet and mobile devices
- Surface PRO 2 or higher running Win 8.1 or higher
- Note: For tablets running Windows 10, they must run Windows 10 Home, Pro, or Enterprise. S Mode is not supported.
- iOS and Android devices
- Blackberry devices
For the best results, SOVREN Nautical Academy recommends joining the meeting from a PC or Mac, or a tablet. The screen size of a phone will not be as effective. If you have a secondary advice this can be used to view course sheets.
The bandwidth used by Zoom will be optimized for the best experience based on the participants’ network. It will automatically adjust for 3G, WiFi or Wired environments.
Recommended bandwidth for meetings (PC and Mac):
- For group video calling:
- 800kbps/1.0Mbps (up/down) for high quality video
- For gallery view and/or 720p HD video: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down)
- Receiving 1080p HD video requires 2.5mbps (up/down)
- Sending 1080p HD video requires 3.0 Mbps (up/down)
- For screen sharing only (no video thumbnail): 50-75kbps
- For screen sharing with video thumbnail: 50-150kbps
Recommended bandwidth for meetings (Tablet and mobile devices):
- For group video calling: 600kbps/1.2Mbps (up/down) for high quality video. For gallery view: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down).
How to test your bandwidth
To see what your bandwidth speed is, simply go on to your internet browser and type ‘bandwidth test’ and select one of the results, a popular test site would be www.speedof.me.